Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying (西藏生死书)

10095I’m a person full with questions in my brain since I was a
child. I woke my father up in the middle night just to ask him where would I be
after I died, I seek for the answer why did god create us while only allow few years
lifespan for us to stay on earth, I wondered why there are so many religions in
this world and does it means that there are different heaven and hell for each
religion, I questioned god why there are so many unfair phenomenon in people’s
life where some people live in poverty, struggling with war, famine with their
body bared, while some other might enjoy their luxury life in the other corner
of the world, spending plenty of money just to get one fashionable jacket with
animal fur on their shoulder.



Plenty of issues brought me to learn about Buddhism, and
certainly there is a fate for me to read this – The Tibetan Book of Living and
Dying. One good thing about this book is that, you don’t have to be a Buddhist
to read it; it’s for all of us, regardless of religion.



It talks a lot about living and dying, of course, even
elaborate the details of dying process, and teach us how we should face the
death. BUT, the most valuable knowledge that I’ve learned from it is not about
death, but it’s about the proper way of living.



I believe that death is not the final destination of life;
hence, we shouldn’t ruin the world harshly just to get the natural resource for
our own sake, knowing that it will cause irremediable consequences to the
earth. Knowing more about the Circle of Incarnation and Sangsara, it’s
explicitly shown that we should always let go some silly and unnecessary
thoughts which are the root causes for all sorrows. Knowing more about Karma,
you will know that everyone must responsible for every single thing you’ve
done.



It’s always hard for us to forsake our long-time-existing
habit, even though we know that they are silly. But it’s always good for us to remind
ourselves to live with a peaceful soul everyday, and not to be stubborn,
selfish, and greedy. May this world full with love and peacefulness.

1 comment:

  1. a very good source of reference for those who are keen in seeking for the meaning of life.

    ReplyDelete